As happens for so many offshore "dreamers", we have decided to postpone our planned (well, it was really only "hoped for") departure for southern waters to August 2013 (yes, 2013!).
Actually, the decision was made for us -- although we were already contemplating the delay. Sure, we still have a lot to do to get ready (but all doable, providing we were focused); Sure, David made more work commitments than expected, such that as "retired" he was spending 2-3 days per week working on "work" rather than working on the boat. But these were not the reason to postpone....
What made the decision for us, however, was this past week's news that our condo -- indeed, the whole building -- was going to undergo a full "re-piping", from approx August 2012 through January 2013. This would make it impossible to sell, impossible to rent (difficult anyways, due to rental restrictions) and something we would not wish to be far and many months away from. So, in the end, we've decided postpone the big adventure until Summer 2013.
Hey, the cloud has a real silver lining! There are many advantages:
- we get to do some enjoyable cruising/sailing in B.C. this summer (this would have been difficult if we had to get Pelagia fully ready for August 2012)
- we get to go back to Nepal (yay!) for another trek in the Fall, as well as some travel afterwards in Indonesia (Bali & Borneo) and Thailand. (Indeed, we had wanted to go back to Nepal this April -- i.e., now! -- but decided we couldn't because time was too tight for getting ready to sail off this August)
- we can have another winter skiing up at Whistler
- we have much more time to prepare Pelagia, and time to try out/learn to use some of the new equipment we already have purchased (SSB/Ham, Hydrovane, etc)
- we have more time to get the condo ready -- most likely to sell
- David can finish all those work commitments
- and, finally, in general, we will have time to enjoy our retirement....
We will continue to update this blog with our sailing, Pelagia prep, and perhaps non-sailing things such as skiing, hiking, and Nepal trekking.