Thursday, 29 August 2013

VANCOUVER to SAN FRANCISCO: A very foggy trip to Port Angeles

A very foggy motor across the traffic lanes to Port Angeles. Anxiety causing. Especially difficult coming into the harbour in near-zero visibility. Very friendly US customs. Weather forecast for sailing down the coast NOT friendly (either winds against or no wind).

But the booze is cheap and we are fine.... 

Wednesday, 28 August 2013

VANCOUVER to SAN FRANCISCO: Day 2: Anchored in Cadboro Bay

A calm motor from Montague Harbour to Cadboro Bay. Some fog. Last night we got hit by unexpected/unforecast NW winds (to 18 kn) while we were anchored at the NW anchorage off the beach of Montague. We had to move to another anchorage in 0 visibility, pouring rain. A good team-building exercise... :-)
At 8/29/2013 3:29 AM (utc) our position was 48°27.30'N 123°17.63'W

radio email processed by SailMail
for information see:

Tuesday, 27 August 2013


Today we leave for San Francisco...finally!

Nope, not all is done, but it is time to go.

We will stop at least 2 nights around the Gulf Islands/Victoria area before crossing over to Port Angeles in the USA. However, current weather forecasts for the coast of Washington state are not favourable for us (S or SE winds ... i.e., winds against us), so we may be waiting for a better weather window.

Below (and on our "Where are we?" page) is how to follow us on the web:

We are now sending in "position reports" to Winlink and/or YOTREPS (when we are out cruising). These reports are visible on a map on the web

View Pelagia's Position Reports (SHIPTRACK)

View Pelagia's Position Reports on YOTREPS 
View Pelagia's Position Reports (Winlink 2000)


Or, use our MMSI number 316014173 on any other web-based AIS system to follow us.
Note: Don't worry if we do not show up on AIS. AIS only works while we are on the move. Importantly, there must be shore stations nearby to receive our signal (there are no stations on the northern coast of Washington (Olympic Peninsula)).  Also, if we are farther than 50-75 miles off the coast, we will not show up.

Sunday, 25 August 2013

VANCOUVER to SAN FRANCISCO: Time ticking down... departure in 3 days (hopefully)

Time is ticking. We are currently planning to leave for San Francisco sometime Tuesday August 27th. (Of course, this is subject to last-minute hiccups.)

We have the great fortune of having our friend Jim from SV Berkana join us as crew to San Francisco. We sailed with Jim on Berkana Hawaii to Vancouver in 2004. One couldn't get a more experienced crewmember!

It has been a very busy 3 weeks -- very tiring -- getting ourselves and Pelagia ready. Won't get it all done. A very typical situation, apparently. 

More to come.

Sunday, 4 August 2013

Test of blog post by Sailmail: Pelagia anchored at Winter Cove

We had a good sail Friday (Aug 2) from English Bay to Porlier Pass, with SE10-15kn winds and, unusual, rain. Anchored Friday eve in Clam Bay. Saturday we motored (glassy seas!) down to Winter Cove (Saturna Island) for the Bluewater Cruising Association "Farewell to the Fleet" rendezvous. As we are "leavers" this year, we thought it was time to participate.

Arrived Winter Cove to see it packed with ~30 boats. Boats kept coming and there are now about 50 (guestimate) boats. Normally, we would go elsewhere when confronted by such a crowded anchorage. Lucky it is shallow, so not much chain required. Also, lucky we had no wind overnight -- only the current is moving us.

One more night tonight, then over to Sidney area.

We have 3 weeks left -- lots left to do!

[This test message sent via Sailmail using the "no-footer" instruction.]
At 8/4/2013 4:05 PM (utc) our position was 48°48.61'N 123°11.83'W