Saturday, 26 May 2012

'Been out sailing in May

We haven't disappeared. Just not been writing. Not been working on boat much either; instead, we've been enjoying Pelagia.

So far this May, we've been out on Pelagia three times:

(i) 3-night trip to Howe Sound, including Artaban and Plumper Cove. Good weather, with nice sail back to Vancouver from Plumper.





(ii) Day sail in English Bay for our club's (Vancouver Rowing Club)  annual "Sail Past" . Oh so sunny, with nice 10 kn NW winds, making for a great sail past and great sail; party after was prety good too!

(iii)  5-night trip over to Gulf Islands. Tried initially to sail late afternoon over to Porlier Pass, but wind (NW) and seas (1-2 m) were uncomfortable in Georgia Strait, and we kept getting headed sailing (first, we could not hold course for Porlier, so we tried for Active Pass, then even that was too tight as we headed towards the airport) -- so we tacked and sailed to Howe Sound, eventually in to Artaban (almost always a safe bet) for 1 night. Next day, seas were calm, and we had a nice sail (half way) across the Strait to Porlier, and then motored to anchor at the north(west) beach of Montague Harbour.

After 2 nights (sunny days, calm nights) there, we moved over to the VRC docks at Ganges (Saltspring Island) for 2 nights. At the end, we motored up to Porlier Pass, and then had a great sail all the way across Georgia Strait right in to Stanley Park.


We finally brought our new folding bikes on the boat with us (still need to work on best location for storage). Tried a bike ride on Galiano Island (from Montague Harbour) -- oh my, what a VERY hilly island! A little too much. Next, we tried biking on Saltspring Island (from Ganges). Much, much better. Went on a very nice ride from Ganges, to Fernwood, around St. Mary's Lake, then back to  Ganges. Although initially very hilly, most of the trip was quite comfortable. Very enjoyable.

Thursday, 3 May 2012

Weekend Sail to Howe Sound

Last weekend (April 27-29) we had a quick cruise over to Artaban (Port Graves) in Howe Sound.

Nice sailing half the distance over; motored back.

This post is really just an excuse to try posting my first attempt at a brief video (sorry, it is not so great quality and a little boring... got to learn/try somehow,eh?)


A short clip gently sailing past Lighthouse Park towards Howe Sound.

Wednesday, 25 April 2012

The best laid plans... Change!

The best laid schemes o' mice an' men, Gang aft agley... (Robert Burns)

As happens for so many offshore "dreamers", we have decided to postpone our planned (well, it was really only "hoped for") departure for southern waters to August 2013 (yes, 2013!).

Actually, the decision was made for us -- although we were already contemplating the delay. Sure, we still have a lot to do to get ready (but all doable, providing we were focused); Sure, David made more work commitments than expected, such that as "retired" he was spending 2-3 days per week working on "work" rather than working on the boat. But these were not the reason to postpone....

What made the decision for us, however, was this past week's news that our condo -- indeed, the whole building -- was going to undergo a full "re-piping", from approx August 2012 through January 2013. This would make it impossible to sell, impossible to rent (difficult anyways, due to rental restrictions) and something we would not wish to be far and many months away from. So, in the end, we've decided postpone the big adventure until Summer 2013.

Hey, the cloud has a real silver lining! There are many advantages:
  • we get to do some enjoyable cruising/sailing in B.C. this summer (this would have been difficult if we had to get Pelagia fully ready for August 2012)
  • we get to go back to Nepal (yay!) for another trek in the Fall, as well as some travel afterwards in Indonesia (Bali & Borneo) and Thailand. (Indeed, we had wanted to go back to Nepal this April -- i.e., now! -- but decided we couldn't because time was too tight for getting ready to sail off this August)
  • we can have another winter skiing up at Whistler
  • we have much more time to prepare Pelagia, and time to try out/learn to use some of the new equipment we already have purchased (SSB/Ham, Hydrovane, etc)
  • we have more time to get the condo ready -- most likely to sell 
  • David can finish all those work commitments
  • and, finally, in general, we will have time to enjoy our retirement....
So, although it may seem like we are just another example of "dreamers" who postpone and never leave the dock, it is not the case. Even if the condo repairs are the "straw" (that broke the camel's back), we're happy with this. (Indeed, we are getting excited about Summer sailing possibilities and Fall travels!)

We will continue to update this blog with our sailing, Pelagia prep, and perhaps non-sailing things such as skiing, hiking, and Nepal trekking.

Tuesday, 10 April 2012

Easter: Sunshine and Sailing (to the Gulf Islands)


Easter in Canada is a 4-day weekend for many (Good Friday to Easter Monday). As a kid I loved it because it was a really long weekend (i.e., a long break from school...) and the weather here in southwestern BC is often pretty good.This Easter weekend (April 6-9) gave us 4 days of sunshine.

We planned for a group of 4 boats to meet up over at Clam Bay in the Gulf Islands for Saturday dinner. As it turned out, all of us arrived Friday late afternoon.

Pelagia's Easter route
Pelagia headed out from the VRC docks Friday morning, hoping to be able sail from Point Grey over to Porlier Pass. The currents in Porlier Pass were flooding to a max of 8.6 knots -- way too much for Pelagia -- with slack at about 5pm; we had all day to get across the straits.

We met up with SV Sapphire and SV Brer Terrapin off of Point Grey, where the winds were 6-8 knots NW, so up went the sails and we started sailing. This lasted about 2 hours, until the wind was down to only a few knots. After giving it another hour or so, we gave up and turned on the motor.

Gulf Islands and Vancouver Island mountains from Georgia Strait
We arrived too early at Porlier -- tide program indicated perhaps 4-5 knots against us -- so we explored anchorages near Dionisio Point (OK only as long as no north/west winds forecast) while we waited for the pass. The others soon went through Porlier and indicated perhaps 2-3 knots against. Pelagia waited a little longer (I don't like pushing against too much current in Porlier -- the upwellings/rips can be really strong) and went through 30 minutes before slack, with about 1-2 knots against. No problem (except for the sudden appearance of a tug towing a huge log barge coming through the pass with the flood).

 

Pelagia in Clam Bay
Pelagia/Brer Terrapin/Sapphire











As usual, lots of room in Clam Bay.

SV Berkana joined us later.








We spent two nights in Clam Bay, enjoying the Spring sunshine, walks and runs on Thetis Island, and drinks/dinner with friends. (Perhaps too many drinks....)

Looking back (south east) to Clam Bay
Sunday, we (Pelagia and Sapphire) motored up to Silva Bay (Gabriola Island), arriving just before slack at Gabriola Passage.  The hope was to get some winds for a good sail back Monday. We tied Pelagia up at the VRC Outstation, and went for a walk over to Drumbeg Provincial Park (Sapphire anchored out).

Monday was another sunny day, with winds forecasted to be NW 10-15 kn. Perfect! 

Sapphire trying to pass us...
Drat! They passed us!

Pelagia sailing Georgia Strait to Vancouver (Howe Sound and Mt. Garibaldi in background)

A great sail back -- calm seas, with Waggie the autopilot doing most of the work. We sailed all the way across and into English Bay, turning on the engine at the QB Mid-Channel Buoy. So rare to have such a nice comfortable -- almost hands off -- sail across Georgia Strait (usually it is either too little or too much). Back at our VRC berth by 330pm.

Monday, 19 March 2012

A sail on the last days of Winter


A weekend sail to Camp Artaban (Port Graves, Gambier Island)

Saturday March 17 to Monday March 19 (2012):
Our bodies reasonably healed, the weather cooperated, projects were put on hold for a few days, and we finally got away from the dock. We headed over to one of our favourite anchorages, in front of Camp Artaban, on Gambier Island in Howe Sound.


Vancouver Harbour to Port Graves, Howe Sound (Port Graves blown up on right)

Sails up at last -- tacking back and forth in English Bay (wind NW, 8-12 knots)


Pelagia anchored in front of Port Graves public dock at Camp Artaban



There is a "public dock" at Port Graves, but it only has room for dinghies -- "anchoring only" in Port Graves.

[Note: Although a favourite destination for us, one has to be careful where you anchor, as in some places, especially in the NW corner, old logging debris (especially large cables) is on the harbour bottom and can foul your anchor. We've seen it happen to other boats.]

In the Summer, water temperatures warm up to ~21 degrees Celsius -- pretty common to see boaters jumping in for a swim (including Pelagia's crew!). There is lots of room for anchoring (there can be 20-40 boats anchored on a Summer weekend) -- from mid September through to mid May (and most weekdays in the Summer), the anchorage is pretty empty.  In Winter, one has to watch forecasts -- gale force "arctic" northerly outflow winds down Howe Sound or >15-20 knot southerly inflow winds can make the anchorage uncomfortable (gale force southerly inflows could be a real problem).

Another reason Artaban is a favourite of ours is that the camp provides public access to the many kilometres of walking and hiking trails on Gambier, including some moderately difficult hikes to nearby mountains (http://www.gambierc.ca/trails.html describes many of the trails; in Winter and early Spring, the trails can be quite muddy!). 


Moss-covered trees on trail to Brigade Bay (yes, trail was muddy)

This March weekend, we needed our rubber boots for the trails. But, we had only one other boat anchored Saturday eve, and we were alone Sunday eve. We all kinds of weather -- but for the most part the weather was either benign or good (albeit a bit chilly -- we needed our Dickinson furnace). No winds at night (glassy calm) made for good sleeps. We got a surprise as we were about to leave Monday morning, a sudden snow squall (a blizzard!) sprung up -- we waited another half hour and the rest of the day was quite decent.

Motoring back on Monday, between Bowen and Gambier Islands, we were treated to the best show of/by dolphins we've ever seen. (Pacific white-sided dolphins, known for their energetic leaping, flips, etc.)  At least a hundred dolphins in view, with at least a dozen "playing" with Pelagia (crisscross swimming under our boat, jumping out of the water, often in 2s or 3s, trailing behind the rudder, eyeing us, etc). This seemed to go on forever (45-60 minutes anyways). Fearing a "miscue" by a dolphin with our propeller, we even put the engine in neutral, hoping they would get bored with us. After 10-15 minutes in neutral, no such luck, so we motored on while they jumped and swam around us, until we reached the end of Bowen Island when they left us. Quite the fun show; certainly made our weekend!

(We often see dolphins, and in recent years humpback and grey whales, while cruising in BC. But this was our most active "show" around Pelagia.)

Dolphins!
Back home at the Vancouver Rowing Club by 3pm, before the rains (and gale force winds) forecast for Monday evening -- it was great to get back out on Pelagia.

Friday, 2 March 2012

"Back on the horse": An excellent week skiing!


With some trepidation, Michelle and I returned to the slopes this week -- almost four weeks after her very nasty fall on Blackcomb's Cougar Chutes (and my "running for the bus" injury)

Turns out we had an excellent week of skiing up at Whistler (including a vigorous day of snowshoeing). We were back on the black diamond runs (but decided to wait 'til our next visit to return to skiing the double blacks -- Cougar Chutes were always there reminding us of our mortality.)

On top of  Blackcomb's "7th Heaven"

Michelle skiing from Whistler's peak, down "Whistler Bowl" ... it's great to be back!
Snowshoeing up the Cheakamus Lake road


So, we have healed well (although M. still has no feeling in her chin). 

Having fun skiing again!

Monday, 27 February 2012

Boat gear: Cruz Pro RH-60 engine tachometer

we give the RH-60 a "thumbs up"!

Ever since we purchased Pelagia, we've intended to put a tachometer (engine RPM) in the cockpit -- Pelagia has her engine instruments at the inside steering station.

This "need" became more acute after an engine breakdown (off Cape Beale, Barkley Sound... thankfully we're a SAIL boat!) in 2009 sheared off the tach sensor, and we no longer had an engine tachometer.

Enter the Cruz Pro RH-60 engine tachometer/engine hours gauge.


The manual for the RH-60 (which is available on line, so we were able to review before purchasing) indicated hooking this little gauge (Cruz-Pro has RPM gauges with larger numbers -- we didn't need larger) should be quite simple.

Amazingly, getting it to work was indeed simple! (Even easier with a smart regulator such as our Balmar ARS-5.) 

First time running the engine showed RPM perhaps a little low -- calibration is carried-out by (i) determining actual RPM (such as with a timing light) then simply (ii) adjusting the RH-60 so it matches the actual RPM.
RH-60 installed in Pelagia's cockpit coaming

We now have an engine tachometer in the cockpit. (And, because it outputs RPM via NMEA 0183, we could also have a tach readout at the inside steering station.)

Boat things are not usually so easy to install...!

UPDATE: June/July 2012. I finally got around to checking the calibration of the RH-60 using a timing light/laser. The actual RPM was about 70% higher than the Cruz Pro was reading. No problem, I followed the directions to re-set/calibrate the RH-60 to the actual RPM. However, I made the mistake of calibrating at a relatively low RPM. Thus, when running at (actual) RPM of 2500, I got a readout of over 4000 RPM. (In doing so, I discovered the factory default "max RPM" alarm -- a piercing noise.) 

So, I learned that I had to calibrate the RH-60 with the engine running at a fairly high RPM. All seems correct now.  It was easy to adjust the RH-60 calibration.